A Brief History of the Doric Chapter

Doric Chapter was originally the first Webster Chapter of Royal Arch Masons. The Grand Chapter was petitioned for authority to form a chapter in Webster on September 11th, 1866 and signed by fourteen Companions. It was received and granted on December 10th, 1867. The dispensation was extended six months and the Chapter was constituted October 29th, 1868. The membership of the Chapter was thirty·s1x in 1870 and forty-three in 1871.

On June 12th, 1871, the Chapter voted: “That the place of meeting of Webster Royal Arch Chapter be changed from Webster, Mass. to Southbridge, Mass. with the privilege of holding regular and special meetings at Webster whenever the Chapter shall vote to do so.”

On June 11th. 1872, the Grand Chapter was asked to approve by a vote of the Chapter, passed June 3rd as follows: “Voted that the name of this Chapter shall henceforth be Doric Royal Arch Chapter,” and the request was granted. At that time the Chapter had forty-eight members. In 1872, it had 175 members! The original Webster Chapter of Royal Arch Masons Charter hangs on the wall in the Ante Room.

The second Webster Chapter of Royal Arch Masons was formed in 1920 in the town of Webster. Their dispensation was issued on December 9th, 1920, the Charter was granted March 8th, 1921, and constituted June 21st, 1921. The Webster Chapter merged with the Doric Chapter in 1979.